Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:19:16 -0400
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:42:00 EDT, Bill Verity said:
> We are moving our server to a much faster machine.  I'm curious if
> any of you have any advice or comments.
>
> We cannot give it the same IP number as our current lists.psu.edu
> machine. We also believe we need to keep this number in use since it
> has been whitelisted by a lot of sites because of spamcop problems.
> So here is our plan.

What we did for the migration from an older AIX box to a new faster Linux
box was basically:

1) Set up the Linux box on a new IP/hostname, install Listserv, copy over
the vast majority of notebooks/lists/etc.

2) The night of the conversion, take down Listserv, Sendmail, and Apache on
the old box, so nothing new comes in.

3) Copy over all the stuff changed since the main copy (find -newer or -mtime -N
are your friends here).

4) Swap the 2 machine's hostname and IP addresses, and reboot both, so the
new box is on the original IP address.

5) A few weeks later, go nuke the old box.

Took  me about a 3 hour downtime, worked great.