Jay Alloway <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:03:29 -0600
I don't follow this list since I passed LISTSERV on to younger blood.
Andrew is correct that DD came from the operating system.  I used PCP
when I start which preceded MFT.  With MFT a job stream was loaded
into a reader and the operating system would read the JCL down to
a DD * or DD DATA statement which indicated that input was going to
come from the card reader.  The program would be invoked reading
a card at a time from the reader as needed.  After the step finished
or the end of data was reached, the operating system would resuming
reading more JCL.

HASP as stated as developed to overcome the delays caused by real time
reading of the cards.  It also allowed for multi-tasking.  HASP or the
full name, Houston Automatic Spooing Priority SYSTEM - II, was a
type III program.  Type III programs were IBM employee written programs
submitted and distributed by the Program Information Department (PID)
of IBM.  The order number of HASP was 360D-05.1.014.

Originally written by Tom H Simpson, Robert P Crabtree and Robert O Ray.
Submitted September 10, 1968.

To say the least, I learned HASP inside and out during my early days
of programming.  I could add that with MVS HASP was renamed to JES
(Job Entry System) with some controversy.  Was a throwback to its
roots, messages retained a prefix of HASP.

Jay