June Genis <GA.JRG@STANFORD>
Tue, 23 Jun 87 13:31:12 PDT
REPLY TO 06/23/87 13:08 FROM [log in to unmask]: Re: Mixed case addresses

We have had problems similar to Eric in dealing with mixed case here
but seem to have found a handling procedure which is working fine so
far.  Our mail manager, EMS, wants to compare all addresses in a
list to eliminate duplicates so it converts everything to uppercase
before doing comparisons.  Afterwards it converts everything back to
all lower case before passing it off to WYLBUR which acts as the
mailing agent.  If WYLBUR identifies an address as being on the
internet it ships it off to our vax that handles that with no change
to the case of the addressee.  In other words, everything we ship
into the internet these days is going completely in lower case.
BITNET addresses are shipped off to JES which uppercases everything
before shipping.

This may seem like a lot of going back and forth but it does mean
that we don't have to depend on any other system, UNIX or otherwise,
having to do anything special to handle our mail.  It is important
to note that although UNIX is described as "case sensitive"  we have
never had any reported problems due to mail which was typed by the
sender as addresses to Fred.Jones being converted to fred.jones.  In
other words, in practical fact internet mail handlers seem to need
all lower case or don't care about case.  We haven't found anyone
out there yet that needs mixed case.

To:  [log in to unmask]