Mark Kaprow <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:15:03 -0500
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Horton Denise S wrote:

> I have had some very odd things going on with our listserv server ever
> since I upgraded it from 1.8a to 1.8c.  Every few days or so, the thing
> seems to hang up for no reason.  The logs do not indicate any error,
> but I notice two things that are happening.... the console of my server
> (Solaris 2.3) shows:
>         INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly.  Check for errors.
>
> I also notice two processes for lsv running, which never seemed to
> happen on 1.8a.  Does anyone have an idea what is going on here?

The two processes are normal for 1.8c igonore them.

the respawning to rapidly may have to do with a bug in Solaris vis-a-vis
inittab although I have not gotten SUN to agree to that.

The solution is to remove the command from inittab where you respawn lsv
if it dies and to just add a file to /etc/rc3.d called something like:

S99listserv

and the file should contain:

su listserv -c "/export/home/listserv/go bg"

just replace the /export/home/ with the path to the listserv directory.

Regards,

Mark