Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:49:35 -0400
On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, A. Harry Williams wrote:

> I guess I don't understand the details of the policy enough.

   The policy prohibits faculty from being able to REVIEW their
subscriber list because the subscriber list contains the name and
e-mail address of students who want that information to remain private,
even from them.  We automatically subscribe and delete all students so
that the faculty member does not have to do it.  It isn't enough to
subscribe students and omit the name, their name and e-mail address
must not be available.

> There are students who are PRIVATE and students that are not.
> The faculty are prohibited from having lists of what?

   Faculty members are prohibited from being able to do a REVIEW
of their class list.  This caused considerable anger on our internal
list owner's list, and I was asked to find another solution.

> How about for
>
> 1 - change the subscriber program to change the name to Name Unknown
> 2 - change the subscriber program to instead of inserting Private, to
>     change the name to Name Unknown

   I need to find a way to hide both the name and e-mail address of
"private" subscribers.  If I can do this, then faculty can do a REVIEW
and see all students *except* those private students.

   Well, I could add non-private students to the super-list and private
students to the sub-list, then faculty could REVIEW the super-list at
least.  This would mean writing something to put in between the program
that feeds Listserv the subscribers and having it create two "add" jobs;
one for the super-list and another for the same course for the sub-list,
for each list we add students to.  Sigh...I guess I'm not looking forward
to that task and was hoping for an easier way.

Thanks to those who replied...

--Trish