Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 11:53:40 CST
On Fri, 3 Jan 1997 09:14:00 -0800 Louise Parsons said:
>Count me among those who believe that postings to a subscription list are
>copyright material.  The analogy is closer to publishing a letter or article
>in a newspaper than merely putting something up on a street corner.  What a
>pity it would be to have to close a list to protect people's rights.  We
>have a copyright policy on the list and inform all new members of it.  The
>fact that we are not copyright lawyers makes it all the more important to
>take some care with this issue which is in a grey area legally at best.

This is exactly why I asked the question.  You can have a policy until
you're blue in the face, but that doesn't mean squat.  What I wanted to
know, is what is the LEGAL answer.  I believe Dan did an excellent job
of answering that question, by the way....

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-8300 (work)
http://helper.tamu.edu/STAFF/cbarnes/