John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 May 2003 09:04:55 -0400
> Hi,
> I had someone delete a few posts in one of my archive logs while I was
> away, and it looks as though they may have screwed it up.  Is there any way
> to restore that log file or fix it in any way?  Now that the posts are
> gone, the archive for that week is all out of order and links point to the
> middle of wrong messages.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

This URL explains how to edit notebooks.
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/qs/editlogs.html

There you will see the format notebooks must be in to work properly. Also
note you must never edit the current notebook as it is continually being
written to and throws the Digest and indexes out of sync. At this point
you have two likely problems.

1. The format of the notebook is now incorrect.
2. The indexes are not in sync with the notebook.

I suggest placing this list on HOLD. Go into the notebook dir and remove
these files:

listname.db*
listname.digest
listname.subjects

Note:  you will lose the digest, but if the current notebook was edited,
it's corrupt anyway.

Go to the  archives directory for this list and delete all  listname.ind*
files. Check the format of the notebook in question and make corrections
if any. Then either 'Update' the header via the web interface or PUT the
header. Now FREE the list and check your archives.