Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Dec 1990 22:01:57 +0100
Well, the original poster did not provide any sample of mail forwarded by
this method but I got the  impression that the forwarding described works
by  generating BSMTP  fields to  effect  the forwarding  and leaving  the
original body intact,  or something similar, such that  the 'From:' field
still pointed  to the editor  and there  was no 'Resent-From:'.  The fact
that this  can be done and  actually causes LISTSERV to  believe the note
came from  the editor is  a known design  problem of this  network, which
unfortunately  we will  probably never  be  able to  fix. If  there is  a
'Resent-From:' field, LISTSERV  will use it as the actual  origin so this
should  be no  problem. If  there is  a 'Sender:'  field pointing  to the
forwarder and a 'From:' field pointing to the editor, the posting will be
accepted (so  that you can have  a hierarchical list setup  with a common
editor), but  it would  be very  strange for a  forwarding package  to do
that.

  Eric