Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:31:39 -0600
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:03:36 -0400, Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Current server:  Listserv 1.8d / LSMTP 1.1b / Windows NT4
>
>    New server:  Listserv 14.4 / LSMTP 1.1b / Win2K3 Server
>
>(A) Can this be done with some careful file migration, then just crank it back up?

Yes, but remember you are doing 2 things:

 -Version Upgrade
 -Server Migration

You must accomplish ALL steps needed for both operations if you want to do
them together.  Make a checklist.

I would suggest, install your 14.4 LAK on the 1.8d version and verify that
is correct and 1.8d runs under the 14.4 LAK.  (This is so that when you
later move the files over, the 14.4 LAK will move with it and already be in
place, ready to go.)

Install 1.8d on the new server (you can get old version install kits from
the L-Soft FTP site.).

Copy all files over (read the white paper on the L-Soft Web site, do NOT
copy any of the web index files listname.INDyymmx or any of the listname.DB*
files in the archives directories!)  LISTSERV will rebuild these indexes as
necessary on the new system.

Then install the 14.4 upgrade on the new server over the top of the 1.8d
files (before you even start LISTSERV on the new server!) then start it up
as 14.4.  Check the LISTSERV log file on startup to make sure that any
changes you have previously made to WWW_ARCHIVE.MAILTPL (1.8d) are correctly
transferred to SITE.MAILTPL (new from 14.3 onwards).  (See _14.3_ Release
Notes on L-Soft website which discusses the details of this step.)

Remember, if you made extensive changes to the WWW interface under 1.8d,
they will reamin intact under 14.4.  That is, the interface it will still
look like 1.8d.  While it will function properly, certain new functions that
did not exist under 1.8d will not immediately appear until you make some
modifications.  But the main thing is whatever you did have under 1.8d will
be there and will still work under 14.4 as it did before.  This means ytou
will be back up and running in a short time.  You can make the necessary
mods later.

For LSMTP, be sure you install the latest kit from L-Soft (build date: ??
April 2005) on the old server before migrating.  Then you will have that kit
also running on Win2003 after you copy over the files.  That kit is
necessary to resolve certain problems with W2003 SP1.  You should run this
kit even if you don't have SP1 installed yet.  You will someday.  Avoid
later breakage by upgrading now to the Apr 2005 build kit.

>(B) One stumbling block is existing lists are setup with Notebooks on D:\PUBLIC\listname, and the new server will have them on F:\PUBLIC\listname (it has a DVDROM in as D:).

The suggestion to re-allocate the disk drive naming (easy to do in either
NT4 or W2003) is excellent.  My CD-ROM drive is always Z: