Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Feb 90 15:51:07 EST
On Thu, 1 Feb 90 11:16:23 EST Terry Voss said:
>I have sent the following message to Eric.  I thought I would also
>ask the members of LSTSRV-L.  I am not a subscriber to LSTSRV-L;
>all replies should be directed to [log in to unmask]  Thanks.
>

>      I am currently having a problem with LISTSERV.  It seems
>that Listserv's A-disk (specifically the directory) is being
>corrupted by something.

  Terry, it seems to me as if two users are trying to access the A disk
in write mode simultaneously.  If two or more users try to alter any of
the files on the same minidisk simultaneously, the results typically lead
to disaster.  This is because user A and user B are both modifying the
information relating to files on that disk at the same time.  They are
both trying to modify the same file which contains minidisk info at the same
time which means that when they both release the disk, the saved disk info
gets corrupted along with many of the files that were previously on the
disk prior to it being simultaneously accessed by two or more people.  If
someone else is accessing the disk without permission, you might want to
be sure to change the disk's write password.

Stan Horwitz               Bitnet:    STAN AT TEMPLEVM
Temple University          Internet:  STAN AT VM.TEMPLE.EDU
Mainframe Consultant       Ma Bell:   215-787-5555