Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 9 Apr 1987 12:28 SET
>If you intend to write an RFC822 parser, please, please take
>the advice of everyone who has done so until now:
>
>Do not write a parser which accepts only what is specified in
>RFC822 exactly and nothing else. Rather, write a parser which
>accepts and tries to understand everything which remotely looks
>like RFC822! Otherwise you will get into endless trouble.
>
>Example of illegal RFC822 things you should accept:
>
>John Smith <JS@HOST>
Sorry Jacob, this is a perfectly legal address. None of the characters are
"specials" and therefore nothing needs to be quoted.

>should correctly be
>"John Smith" <JS@HOST>
This is another legal form of the same address

My parser does not parse message-ids, ie it consider its contents as a
unique string of undetermined format and records it as such.

This would not be treated as the same message-id.

>And please do accept things, even if they are on different lines.
>Thus you should accept:
>To:     "a very very very very very very very very very long name"
>        <AAA@BBB>
Well this is a perfectly valid RFC822 address, folded according to the norm.

  Eric