Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 14:10:52 EDT
On Mon, 29 Jul 1996 12:55:20 -0400 Jim Gerland said:
>On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, David Nessl wrote:
>> Take a few minutes to learn some Unix --
>
>Thanks!  I would but the sad fact is that "unix does not equal unix" :-(
>
>> after transfering all the log
>> files (say using ftp "mget *.LOG*") you can mass-rename the log files
>> using a single pipeline.  Here's one way (not necessarily the best) which
>> assumes the LOG files are in the current-directory:
>>
>>    find . -name '*.LOG*' -maxdepth 1 -print \
>>      | awk '{print $1,tolower($1)}' \
>>      | xargs -t -n2 mv
>
>I get:
>
>find: bad option -maxdepth
>find: path-list predicate-list
>
>So I removed the '-maxdepth 1' and got:
>
>mv ./NYCOMNET.LOG9501 ./NYCOMNET.LOG9501
>mv: ./NYCOMNET.LOG9501 and ./NYCOMNET.LOG9501 are identical

Jim, I just got back from SHARE and saw this.  Did you get an answer?

Try this:

     csh
     foreach a (*.LOG)
     echo $a
     mv $a `echo $a | tr 'A-Z' 'a-z'`
     end
     exit

This was typed in without benefit of testing, so your mileage may vary.
This is C shell specific and so begins with the command 'csh' to put
you in the C shell.  it ends with 'exit' to get you back out.  The
outer set of quotes on the mv line are grave accents (back quotes.)

The other option is to put it in a file like this:

#!/bin/csh
     foreach a (*.LOG)
     echo $a
     mv $a `echo $a | tr 'A-Z' 'a-z'`
     end

Save this with a name like "fixfilenames" and make it executable
"chmod u+x fixfilenames"

Now, just run it when you have .LOG files to rename.

Harold