Jean Snow <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:57:53 -0500
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Ben Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:03:40 -0500, Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Though not site-wide, is the concept of a list-definition directive of
>> .IK filename
>> totally obsolete?
>
> No, but the number of sites that I know of that have successfully implemented
> this powerful feature is perhaps less than 20.

We use .ik files a lot for school/college hierarchical lists: it's a great
help in these situations (we used these a lot in Bitnet days, so I learned
about them).

But I think to use .ik files successfully, you (the listserv admin) have
to be working with savvy listowners who understand the concept, since they
as can't, I think, alter the .ik files themselves, and don't see the
contents when the look at the list headers, though 'Review' will show
them..

js