"A. Harry Williams" <HARRY@MARIST>
Thu, 21 Jan 88 09:14:31 EST

>>I don't think this is a complex patch, and would enable Listserv to deal more
>>effectively with the chaos in UUCP.
>
>"It's perfect, but can you make this one small change...." -- 8-) 8-)
Wait one minute.  Lets look at this rationally.  UUCP is causing major
headaches with Listserv.  If you don't believe it, look at the SAS-L
log for Tuesday.  (Try UGA, I edited the one at Marist)  For 8
straight hours, Listserv at VTVM2 and the UUCP gateway at bounced
mail at each other, with listserv distributing it to its 500+
subscribers.  Now there must have been some network delay, because
it "only" bounced about about 130 times, but that is 65,000 totally
useless file sburdening the network.  Something MUST be done.
And the uucp gateway doesn't plan on changing.  The postmaster has been
more vehenment about that than Eric has about most changes(if you can
believe that), and in reality of following the RFC822 specs, he is right,
but being right doesn't solve this real world problem!

 Harry