Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Oct 90 21:34:05 +0100
I  apologize for  the  cross-posting,  but the  problem  is serious.  The
VERS9011 update causes  an addressing exception in  LISTSERV because, for
the first  time in the  history of the "old"  format, a back-link  to the
dummy entry LINKS011 has been entered  in the BITNIC node entry. That is,
up to now the LINKSnnn and VERSnnnn entries used to have an adjacent node
definition (respectively  BITNIC and  HEARN), but  the "real"  entries in
question did  not have a  back pointer to  these dummy entries,  that is,
BITNIC did not have LINKSnnn in its  adjacent node list and HEARN did not
have (and still doesn't have) VERSnnnn  either. In other words, you had a
"complete" network if you took out the  2 dummy entries at the top of the
file and processed the remainder, which is what LISTSERV does.

With VERS9011,  the BITNIC entry  has a  back pointer to  LINKS011 (HEARN
still does  not refer  to VERS9011,  so I assume  it is  a change  in the
BITNET tools).  If you take the  2 dummy entries  at the top out,  you no
longer have a  complete network - one  node is referred to  that does not
exist. This  breaks LISTSERV,  the symptoms might  vary with  the virtual
storage and  possibly with the release  but an addressing exception  or a
loop is very likely. I have tried  to contact Hans-Ulrich to see if there
is  still  time to  send  a  "new" VERS9011  NODUPD  file  and avoid  the
distribution of the present one, but  unfortunately he did not seem to be
on. Anyway:

        >>> Do not apply VERS9011 if you are running LISTSERV <<<

  Eric