Gary Sponseller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:12:08 EDT
On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:37:48 PDT David Kalins said:
>Dear Friends -- The person at our site who generally manages our Listserv is
>currently on vacation, and I've gotten a request from one of our list managers
>for something which (for me at least) is rather out of the ordinary.  I wonder
>perhaps if any of you can tell me whether what he wants is possible.
>
>We are running Listserv 1.8b on a VM/CMS system.  We use LMail as a mail
>handler.  This one list manager is about to move his list from our system to a
>Listserv on a totally different machine.  He has asked us to do two things:
>
>1)  He wants mail sent to the list on our machine to be forwarded to the
>list on the new machine.  I would tend to do this using the mail forwarding
>capabilities of LMail.  I suppose Listserv can also do this too, but I haven't
>ever used that facility in Listserv.

David,

For Listserv forwarding, use:  QUIET /FORWARD newlist@newhost FOR oldlistname

I just checked and your Listserv supports the /FORWARD facility. :-)
For more info, send your listserv a HELP command.

>2)  He also would like the list on our system to send an automatic canned
>response to anyone who sends mail to it, saying that the list has been moved
>to another address.  Can Listserv do that?  How is that implemented???

There is a New-List keyword that should work for what he wants.
Here's an excerpt from the LISTKEYW MEMO on this keyword:

-- begin excerpt --
**************************
* New-List= <netaddress> *
**************************

When a list  is moved to a  different LISTSERV host, this  keyword can be
added to  the list  header left  on the  original host.  This facilitates
forwarding of administrative commands and postings from the original host
to the  new host. Users  posting to the old  address will also  receive a
short note in return listing the new address.

Note  that success  in setting  the "New-List="  keyword is  dependent on
whether or  not you  have deleted practically  every other  keyword other
than  "Owner=" from  the list  header. Since  the use  of "New-List="  is
generally intended to be an automatic  pointer to the new host and/or new
list name, no other keywords should be defined. Keywords that would cause
a problem  will therefore generate fatal  errors on a list  PUT operation
and the list header will not be updated.

Further note that the old list's  subscriber list cannot be modified once
the  "New-List="  parameter  is  defined.  The  appropriate  sequence  of
operations is:

1. Create the new list

2. Move the subscribers to it

3. DELETE oldlistname *@*

4. Modify the header of the old list by deleting unneeded keywords and
adding the "New-List=" keyword with its pointer to the new list.

Should  this  sequence  not  be  followed,  note  that  by  removing  the
"New-List=" keyword,  the old  list will be  unlocked and  the subscriber
list can then be deleted if desired.
-- end excerpt --

>Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.    --dk
>
>David Kalins
>Central Computing Services
>University of California, Berkeley

You're welcome!