"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Thu, 2 Feb 89 20:57:54 GMT

In the last few weeks (months?), I have been wasting more time on endless
and unproductive political discussions about the ownership, availability,
maintenance and future  of LISTSERV than I normally used  to spend on the
code itself, back in the days  of political peace. I am getting seriously
fed up  with this whole business,  and have therefore decided  to start a
survey on this topic.  It is rather like a kind of  referendum, as I plan
to act according to the results (within reason).

The  survey is  open to  anybody who  knows what  "LISTSERV" stands  for,
although  the results  will be  split  into several  sub-groups (EARN  vs
non-EARN, maintainers vs  users, etc). Feel free to forward  this note to
anybody who might be interested.

To answer the survey, you must obtain a copy of 'SURV1 EXEC'. If you have
access to  a VM  system, all you  have to  do is to  run the  exec (after
checking that it does not propagate a Christmas tree all over the network
:-)  ).  If  you  do  not  have any  VM  account,  please  refer  to  the
instructions at  the beginning of  the exec  (basically you will  have to
extract the questions  from the 'data' section of the  exec and mail your
replies to me; I will then enter them into the database).

SURV1 EXEC  will be mailed  to the LSTSRV-L list  (I expect that  all the
people  subscribed to  LSTSRV-L will  want to  answer the  survey); other
people can  obtain a copy  from LISTSERV@LEPICS  by sending a  'GET SURV1
EXEC' command (ie TELL LISTSERV AT  LEPICS GET SURV1 EXEC). Please do NOT
AFD or FUI  to it; the exec  will be destroyed when the  survey is closed
(the deadline for answering is 18-Feb-89).

>>> PLEASE read the questions carefully  and answer seriously, this is an
>>> important  survey  that  can  dramatically influence  the  future  of
>>> LISTSERV. If  you do not  have enough time to  devote to it,  I would
>>> rather that you did not answer at all.

Thanks and regards, Eric

/* Standard LISTSERV-based survey exec

This program will only work on  a BITNET/EARN/NetNorth site running VM (I
do not have time to write one  for each operating system on the network).
If you cannot run  it, please extract the text of  the questions from the
data following the line marked  'Survey_Data:' below and "manually" reply
to them. I will then run the program for you to enter your answers in the
database.

*/
 Address 'COMMAND'
 Do read = 1
    If Word(Sourceline(read),1) == 'Survey_Data:' Then Leave
 End
 count = 0
 output. = ''
 Do read = read+1
    line = Sourceline(read)
    If Left(line,1) ^== '.' Then
     Do
       Say line
       Iterate
     End
    Parse var line '.'cmd line
    Upper cmd
    If cmd == 'DONE' Then Leave
    If cmd == '*' Then Iterate
    Interpret 'Call CMD_'cmd
 End
 fileid = 'SURVEY CMSUT1 A1'
'ERASE' fileid
 write = 'EXECIO 1 DISKW' fileid '0 (STRING'
 write '/SURVEY ANSWER' survey#
 write '//Data DD *,EOF'
 Do i = 1 for count
    write output.i
 End
'FINIS' fileid
 Say
'DMSDDL SEND' fileid 'TO' destination '(NOLOG NOACK'
'ERASE' fileid
 Exit 0

CMD_TO:
 destination = line
 Return

CMD_ID:
 survey# = line
 Return

CMD_CLEAR:
'VMFCLEAR'
 Return

CMD_PAUSE:
 Say
 Say Centre('>>> Press ENTER to continue <<<',73)
 Parse upper pull reply .
 If reply == 'QUIT' Then Signal Quit
'VMFCLEAR'
 Return

CMD_LABEL:
 Return

CMD_IF:
 Parse upper var line boolean ' THEN ' where .
 Interpret 'boolean =' boolean
 If boolean == 0 Then Return
 Do read = read+1
    Parse upper Value Sourceline(read) with cmd label .
    If cmd == '.LABEL' & label == where Then Return
 End

CMD_UNTIL:
 line = Strip(line)
 If Substr(Date('S'),3) ^> line Then Return
 Parse var line yy +2 mm +2 dd +2
 Say 'Sorry, this survey has been closed as of' yy'/'mm'/'dd'.'
 Exit 28

CMD_CE:
 Say Centre(Strip(line),73)
 Return

CMD_ASK:
 count = count+1
 keepin = ''
 opt = 0
 Do forever
    Parse upper var line w .
    Select
      When w == 'IF' Then
       Do
         Parse var line . boolean line
         Interpret 'boolean =' boolean
         If boolean ^== 1 Then Return
       End
      When w == 'KEEPIN' Then Parse var line . keepin line
      When Abbrev('OPTIONAL',w,3) Then Parse Value 1 line with opt . line
      Otherwise Leave
    End
 End
 Parse var line type line
 If opt Then
  Say '-> Just press ENTER if you do not wish to answer this question.'
 Do forever
    Parse pull reply
    reply = Space(reply)
    If Translate(reply) == 'QUIT' Then Signal Quit
    If opt & reply == '' Then Return
    Interpret 'Call TYPE_'type line
    If result ^== 0 Then Iterate
    If keepin ^== '' Then Interpret keepin '=' reply
    output.count = reply
    Return
 End

TYPE_YESNO:
 Upper reply
 Select
   When Abbrev('YES',reply,1) Then reply = 1
   When Abbrev('NO',reply,1) Then reply = 0
   Otherwise
    Say 'Please answer YES or NO:'
    Return 1
 End
 Return 0

TYPE_NUM:
 Parse var line a b .
 If ^Datatype(reply,'W') | reply < a | reply > b Then
  Do
    Say 'Please enter an integer number from' a 'to' b':'
    Return 1
  End
 Return 0

TYPE_DEC:
 Parse var line a b .
 If ^Datatype(reply,'N') | reply < a | reply > b Then
  Do
    Say 'Please enter a decimal number from' a 'to' b':'
    Return 1
  End
 Return 0

Quit:
 Parse source . . myname .
 Say 'Survey cancelled, no data has been sent. Type' myname,
     'to restart survey.'
 Exit 100

/* Insert survey data below
Survey_Data:
.until 890218
.clear
Because  of  the political  turmoil  surrounding  the issue  of  LISTSERV
development, maintenance and support, the time has come when I must again
ask YOUR opinion of what should be done with LISTSERV in the future.

Everybody who has  been in touch with LISTSERV is  invited to answer this
survey, LISTSERV maintainers and LISTSERV users alike, be they on BITNET,
EARN, NetNorth,  ARPAnet, etc.  Only statistics will  be published  - the
privacy of  individual answers  is guaranteed,  although you  should know
that, to prevent people from answering several times, the database server
will keep a  list of all the  persons who have answered  the survey. This
list can be accessed only by the LEPICS computing centre staff.

Most questions  are optional, so  that you do not  have to answer  if you
feel that  you do  not have  enough experience with  or knowledge  of the
product to provide a valuable answer.

Finally, you can  quit the survey at  any time by replying  "QUIT" to any
question. Your answers  will then be discarded and nothing  will be added
to the database.
.pause
.ce *** Preliminary questions ***

Are you an EARN user (here 'EARN' really means 'just EARN', ie you should
answer NO if you are a BITNET or NetNorth user)? (YES|NO):
.ask keepin earn yesno
Are you a LISTSERV maintainer ("postmaster")? (YES|NO):
.ask keepin postmaster yesno
.clear
.ce *** The present of LISTSERV ***

You will  now be  asked to  express your  satisfaction about  the various
services that LISTSERV is providing TODAY.  Please answer in a 0-5 scale,
where   0  means   "Extremely   unsatisfactory"  and   5  is   "Extremely
satisfactory".

.if ^postmaster then post1
As a  LISTSERV maintainer,  please try  to keep  performance in  mind all
throughout this survey!

.label post1
How do you  rate the service provided by LISTSERV  to the user community,
as a whole (remember: 0 = very bad, 5 = very good)?
.ask num 0 5
How do you rate  the ease-of-use of these services (ie  0 = impossible to
use without special training, 5 = extremely easy to use)?
.ask num 0 5
How do you rate  the quality of the maintenance (difficulty  to get a bug
report accepted, time to get a fix, quality of the fix, etc)? (0-5):
.ask opt num 0 5
.if earn then earn1
How do you rate  the quality of the support provided  by the author (time
to get a question answered, accuracy of the answer, etc)? (0-5):
.label earn1
.ask if ^earn opt num 0 5
.clear
.ce *** The future of LISTSERV ***

You will be  asked several times throughout this survey  to give your own
opinion on  the desireability  of a  change to  LISTSERV. Please  use the
following scale when answering:

0 - Extremely undesirable, consequences would be catastrophic for us!
1 - Undesirable, should be avoided if possible.
2 - Tolerable, even though we would rather avoid it.
3 - Neutral.
4 - Desirable, we would like to see this done.
5 - Extremely desirable, this is definitely the way to go.

Remember: <3 = Don't do it, 3 = Neutral, >3 = Do it.
.pause
.ce *** LISTSERV as commercial, vendor-maintained software? ***

In this  section, you will be  asked your opinion on  the consequences of
LISTSERV  becoming a  commercial, vendor-developed  and vendor-maintained
piece of software. It is assumed that the license cost is reasonable, and
that  the  vendor in  question  is  a  serious company.  Development  and
maintenance would be done by an employee of the company, not by me.
                                                         ---------

First of  all, how  desirable do  you think this  solution would  be, all
things considered? (0-5):
.ask opt num 0 5
Do you  think the quality  of the  software itself would  improve? Please
reply -5  ("It would become completely  useless") to 5 ("It  would become
really more useful"):
.ask opt num -5 5
Do you think the quality of the maintenance would improve? (-5 to 5):
.ask opt num -5 5
Would you trust the  vendor to develop and improve the  software in a way
that meets your needs? (YES|NO):
.ask opt yesno
.clear
Now let's  assume that the vendor  only packages and sells  the software,
while I keep doing the development and maintenance. The vendor guarantees
that if I am  forced to stop working on LISTSERV,  one of their employees
will continue my work.

How desirable do you think this solution would be, then? (0-5):
Remember: <3 = Don't do it, 3 = Neutral, >3 = Do it.
.ask opt num 0 5
Do  you  think the  quality  of  the  software  itself would  improve  in
that case? (-5 to 5):
.ask opt num -5 5
Do you think the quality of the maintenance would improve? (-5 to 5):
.ask opt num -5 5
Would you  then trust the  vendor and myself  to develop and  improve the
software in  a way  that meets  your needs?  Do not  forget to  take into
account the  fact that the vendor  might impose some requirements  on me,
like a  different ordering of  the "wish list"  than I would  have chosen
myself. (YES|NO):
.ask opt yesno
.clear
.ce *** LISTSERV as an EARN-owned, EARN-maintained service? ***

In this  section, you will be  asked your opinion on  the consequences of
LISTSERV becoming the property of EARN, with maintenance being done by an
employee of  EARN (EARN  now has  a budget  to hire  the equivalent  of 4
full-time "people",  2 of  which being dedicated  to the  maintenance and
operation of the network). It is assumed that EARN would grant BITNET and
NetNorth the  right to use the  software at no cost  to your institution;
however permission  to distribute  changes to the  software would  be the
prerogative  of  EARN, in  order  to  avoid  having dozens  of  different
versions of  LISTSERV running on  the network.  That is, EARN  would keep
control of the software.

First of  all, how  desirable do  you think this  solution would  be, all
things considered? (0-5):
.ask opt num 0 5
Assuming that the EARN employee  in charge of development and maintenance
is not me, do you think the quality of the software itself would improve?
Please reply  -5 ("It would become  completely useless") to 5  ("It would
become really more useful"):
.ask opt num -5 5
Still assuming  it is not  done by  me, do you  think the quality  of the
maintenance would improve? (-5 to 5):
.ask opt num -5 5
Would you trust  EARN to develop and  improve the software in  a way that
meets your needs? (YES|NO):
.ask opt yesno
.clear
Now let's  assume that LISTSERV becomes  the property of EARN  but I keep
doing  the maintenance  and development.  EARN  guarantees that  if I  am
forced to stop working on LISTSERV,  one of their employees will continue
my work.

How desirable do you think this solution would be, then (0-5):?
.ask opt num 0 5
Do  you  think the  quality  of  the  software  itself would  improve  in
that case? (-5 to 5):
.ask opt num -5 5
Do you think the quality of the maintenance would improve? (-5 to 5):
.ask opt num -5 5
Would you then trust EARN and  myself to develop and improve the software
in a way  that meets your needs?  Do not forget to take  into account the
fact  that EARN  might  impose constraints  on me,  eg  migration of  the
software to OSI protocol. (YES|NO):
.ask opt yesno
.clear
.ce *** LISTSERV as a BITNET-owned, BITNET-maintained service? ***

In this  section, you will be  asked your opinion on  the consequences of
LISTSERV becoming the property of  BITNET, with maintenance being done by
a pool of properly selected  and knowledgeable BITNET volunteers (I would
not be part of  that pool, although I would provide  some guidance at the
beginning). The  BITNET BoT would  guarantee that,  in the case  that the
BITNET volunteers can no longer keep working on LISTSERV, they would hire
someone to continue this work (probably  as part of the BITNIC staff). It
is further assumed  that BITNET would EARN and NetNorth  the right to use
the software at no cost.

First of  all, how  desirable do  you think this  solution would  be, all
things considered? (0-5):
.ask opt num 0 5
Do you  think the quality  of the  software itself would  improve? Please
reply -5  ("It would become completely  useless") to 5 ("It  would become
really more useful"):
.ask opt num -5 5
Do you think the quality of the maintenance would improve? (-5 to 5):
.ask opt num -5 5
Would you trust BITNET to develop and  improve the software in a way that
meets your needs?  Please note that BITNET is almost  free from politics,
and that  there would probably be  little or no constraint  placed on the
pool of volunteers. (YES|NO):
.ask opt yesno
.clear
All  things considered,  what do  you think  is the  best option  for the
future of LISTSERV?

1 - Keep it the way it is today.
2 - Sell it to EARN.
3 - Sell or donate it to BITNET.
4 - Make it into a commercial, vendor-supported product.

.ask opt num 1 4
.clear
.ce *** Putting a price tag to LISTSERV ***

In the  event that LISTSERV  had to  be sold, the  issue of "what  is the
financial  value of  LISTSERV" will  undoubtedly come  up. Actually  this
issue is likely to come up anyway, regardless of whether I decide to sell
it or not. I will therefore ask you a few questions along these lines, to
which I  would like you not  to reply if you  are not sure that  you have
enough information to provide a "valid" reply.

In  the event  that  LISTSERV became  a commercial  product,  or that  it
otherwise became  the property of  an entity  asking your site  for money
(directly or  through your EARN/BITNET/NetNorth membership  fee) in order
to run it, how much do you think your institution would be willing to pay
for  a "One  Time  Charge" license?  Please answer  with  the amount,  in
thousands of US dollars,  that your site would be willing  to pay; do not
put a '$' sign in your reply, or  a 'k' at the end to indicate thousands.
For example,  for $5500, you  would reply '5.5'.  Reply '0' if  your site
would never accept to pay anything to run LISTSERV.

>>> Please do NOT  answer if you do  not have good reasons  to think that
>>> your answer would be accurate!
.ask opt dec 0 999
.clear
Let's  assume  that  your  institution had  to  re-create  LISTSERV  from
scratch, ie write a piece of software that does exactly the same thing as
LISTSERV,   running  in   the  same   environment  and   with  comparable
performance.

The person doing this would not be allowed to extract pieces of code from
the existing version of LISTSERV, or even  to look at the code to see how
things are done, BUT he/she would  be provided with a complete functional
description of what LISTSERV does.

What type of programmer would you choose to do this work, if you were the
manager of  the organization having to  do the work (knowing,  of course,
that the salary is not the same):

1 - Novice, straight out of grad school.
2 - Beginner, 1-2 year of experience with VM, knows REXX, not assembler.
3 - Knowledgeable, 2-4  years of VM  experience, good knowledge  of REXX,
    can understand assembler but finds it hard to program in assembler.
4 - Expert, 5+ years of experience, REXX expert, can understand and write
    good assembler.
5 - Wizard, remembers his first IPL of  CP-40, knows the opcodes and card
    punch codes of any assembler instruction you can name, etc.
.ask opt num 1 5
.clear
How long  do you think  it would  take this person  to do the  work (this
includes testing, debugging, etc), in months?
.ask opt dec 0 999
How much do you think this would cost your institution (counting not only
the salary paid  to this person but also  the corresponding taxes/welfare
paid to the  state, the CPU time  and disk space he would  use, the floor
space for his office/terminal, and all other associated overhead)? Please
answer with the amount in thousands of  US dollars (no '$', no 'k' in the
answer):
.ask opt dec 0 999
How much do you think it would  cost your institution, in thousands of US
dollars  per month,  to maintain  the software  (ie write  bug fixes  and
develop improvements that  become required by a change  in the technology
or protocols use in the network)?
.ask opt dec 0 99
.*
.* End of questions
.*
.clear
Thank you for having answered this survey. Your answers are being sent to
LISTSERV@LEPICS for inclusion in the database.
.to LISTSERV AT LEPICS
.id 1
.done