Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:39:58 +1000
Hello all

Our online LISTSERV archive is experiencing some bizarre behaviour which I'm
at a loss to explain.  For some reason, if a user who replies to post uses
'<' or '>' symbols to mark out the original message, all hard returns in
that section are stripped out causing the text to collapse into one long
string.  What makes it so bizzare is it isn't consistent across different
methods of viewing:

1. viewing the post with my email client (MS Outlook 2000), the message
appears formatted correctly.

2. opening the LISTSERV log directly into a text editor also shows the same
message correctly formatted.

3. viewing the message via the online archive shows the behaviour of
stripping out hard returns and collapsing the text together.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?
The only common connection I can make between all the messages I've seen
like this is they were all sent using MS Exchange Internet Mail Service.
Could that be the culprit?  It's certainly got me stumped.

If you'd like to see examples mail me privately and I'll send you a copy.
They're just a bit too long to include here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.