Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 01:05:39 +0100
We are  looking for sites interested  in joining the beta  for LISTSERV's
new DomainKeys functionality.  The beta will start next week  and will be
available for  Windows and Linux. If  someone with a different  system is
very motivated,  we can  probably provide beta  kits for  other operating
systems. Technically, this  will be an open beta; anyone  with 14.4 and a
maintenance LAK will be able to install the DK update. But we would still
like to know who  is actively testing the code and how  it is being used.
DomainKeys  is  still in  its  infancy  and it  is  important  for us  to
understand  how customers  use  it so  that we  can  develop the  product
accordingly.

In a  nutshell, LISTSERV  now has  a high-performance  DomainKeys signing
engine  that  can  be  used  to add  DomainKeys  signatures  to  outgoing
messages. We  are still debating what  to do for discussion  lists, since
there are arguments for and against signing a message authored by someone
else, but  in the context  of a one-way  distribution, you can  enable DK
signatures on your  outbound mail. There does  not seem to be  a very big
performance hit -  my desktop can merge, sign and  hand over around 1.75M
messages per  hour (with  HPO and  RSA-768), and  few people  need higher
throughput. If you  are using recent hardware, the cost  of enabling this
new functionality should be minimal.

Please contact me privately or through the list if interested.

  Eric