Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 03:55:22 +0100
> We're planning on upgrading to Solaris 10 this spring.
> Wanted to check that Listserv 18.e  runs under Solaris 10.

I can't confirm that, but current versions do. We're also (re-)introducing support for Solaris x64 with 16.0. We had Solaris/x86 support years ago but (almost) nobody bought it so we discontinued it due to too many data entry errors in orders :-) Then Sun actually gave us a server, no strings attached (other than not putting it on eBay the same day it arrived). They wanted to help us re-port to Solaris x64 and I figured it had to be more than just nice words since hardware costs real money and they didn't skimp on the config either. I'm not a Solaris expert but I can't tell the difference from our SPARC development server once the system is installed (other than 5 times the speed ;-) ). Meanwhile I'm still waiting for HP to authorize us to potentially maybe purchase a refurbished Itanium (VMS/HP-UX) server even though we're not a Premium Reseller, and that's one voicemail I'm not worried about ever getting. Don't believe what you read on HP's web site. If you spend 3 months actually trying to purchase the EZ ISV HELP-U development servers they talk about, you can't. Paperwork, wrong department, wrong country, or did they say to call me by name, OH NO, they were wrong! NOBODY is in charge, at least not me! HP doesn't want your money! Go away! It's not a lack of hardware mind you, there are hundreds of returned servers waiting for a new owner, and L-Soft is probably the only customer not even asking why. But the truth it, these units are only for sale to Trusted Premium Resellers who aren't ordering any of them, and you're not a premium reseller, so please get lost and never come back.

Meanwhile Sun sent us a free unit with apparently no questions asked. That may not make me mortgage my home to buy Sun stock, far from it ;-), but it does make me wonder what's going on with the industry. The same day HP told me to please get lost forever and not come back, Sun offered a free unit in case, for any reasons, I should be willing to look into Solaris/x64 again. They didn't want procurement to be an obstacle. And sure, I'll give people a second chance. Bottom line, we now support Solaris/x64 and we still don't support VMS or HP-UX on Itanium.

  Eric