Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 20 Sep 1986 16:59 SET
  Yesterday, someone  gave me a suggestion  after asking me not  to mention his
name because it  might get him/her into  problems. He/she even asked  me to put
the idea  into someone else's  mouth, the someone being  one of the  members of
that list, which I am not going to do. Anyway, that person seemed to be concer-
ned with  the CUNY-WISCVM file queue  and suggested that all  the ARPA digests,
ie SFLOVERS &co, be distributed on BITNET via the network of FRECP11-LISTSERVs.
This sounds like a very good idea, and  Harri is already doing it in Europe. We
would obviously need  several host sites in the states  for those lists. Please
note that there are A LOT of lists.  Also note that some of those mailfiles are
SO screwed up that even the mailer cannot handle them properly; even when list-
serv just redistributes one of the fields  'as is', the mailer spits it out and
screams with pain. This requires a little intervention from the postmaster once
in a while (refer to Harri for  more details :-) ). My *personal* opinion would
be to state that  if CUNY wants to reduce its load on  WISCVM, then CUNY should
donate an  account to run the  FRECP11-LISTSERV code, since we  have at present
NO server in any  of the central sites, except perhaps  UIUCVMD to some extent.
(fyi, two out of the three major EARN sites installed a LISTSERV)

  A summary of the BITNIC situation: I do  not know exactly what is going on at
BITNIC, but to the  best of my knowledge (and intuition :-)  ) the situation is
as follows: the 'decision-makers' had decided not to install a FRECP11-LISTSERV
for the  same reasons that  they do not  use GENROUTS, UPDNODES,  NETSERV, etc.
However, considering the  number of sites that did install  a revised LISTSERV,
they felt like  they had to give  some attention to the problem,  what with the
political aspects of  it with regard to the incoming  voting on membership fees
and suchlike. Anyway, they  asked Scott Earley to have a look  at the thing and
give his opinion  on it. It sounds like  if Scott says NO, then  it's no, while
if Scott says YES, it might still be no  but it might be yes too; in the latter
case, I  guess that if they  get into any problem  with FRECP11-LISTSERV, Scott
will be  the one to be  blamed. I would not  like to be in  Scott's position at
present. Although I am not going to kneel before the BITNIC and lick their feet
until they  install a FRECP11-LISTSERV, I  suggested that they might  give it a
try on ANOTHER  id, with a SINGLE list  at the beginning, and I  think it's the
only way we can get  them to install it. A few days ago  I heard that Ricky was
asked to give his opinion on FRECP11-LISTSERV  too, so what I'm saying might be
a little obsolete.

  Eric