Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:59:43 +1100
> I've got a moderated list on my server that has the header below.
>
> *  Editor= [log in to unmask]  Penny Heaslip
> *  Review= Private   Subscription= Open          Send= Editor,Hold,Confir
> *  Notify= Yes       Reply-to= List,Respect      Files= No
> *  Errors-to= Owner                              Default-Options= REPRO
> *  Notebook= Yes,/soft/listserv/logs,Weekly,Private
> *  Mail-Via= Dist2
> *  Digest= Yes,Same,Daily,16                     Auto-delete= Yes,Full-Au
> *  Renewal= Yearly,Delay(14)                     List-Address= FQDN
> *
> *  Owner= [log in to unmask]  Penny Heaslip
> *  Owner=quiet:
> *  [log in to unmask] Jan Johnston
> *  [log in to unmask] Pat Lacefield
> *
>
> The owner/moderator has complained that she is seeing some
> notes on the
> list which she has not confirmed.

How long has it been since you last PUT this header?  The first thing I
noticed was that you've missed the last character of "Confirm" in the Send
keyword.  Also, when you have multiple keywords in one line like you have
done you run the risk of the total number of characters on the line
exceeding the maximum allowable by your mailer.  It will then arbitrarily
insert a carriage return where it feels is appropriate.  Unfortunately for
you, this might mean a keyword could be broken across two lines and LISTSERV
misinterprets it.

I found this out the hard way.  Our mailer (MS Exchange 5.5) breaks lines at
76 characters (a really nice, round number, eh?) so any headers I create
must be less than this or I'm in trouble.  Try rearranging your header so
that each keyword is on a seperate line.

(See the Owner's Manual >> Managing Subscriptions >> Adding users with long
names for an excellent explanation of this subject.)

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Views expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the views,
opinions or position of my employer.