Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:35:02 -0400
> Date:    Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:09:24 -0400
> From:    Cristobal Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: LISTSERV with Courier Mail Server or Qmail
>
> I have a server running Linux RedHat 7.2 and Courier Mail Server 0.35.0-8
> and am attempting to install LISTSERV 1.8e. I've gone through the
> installation instructions as directed in 'u-install.memo' file. I've also
> followed the instructions for qmail located at:
>
> http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/unixinst.html#qmail
>
> I create the dot-courier files:
>
> /home/listserv/.courier
>
> Contents:
> | /usr/lib/courier/bin/preline /usr/local/bin/lsv_amin -
> s /home/listserv/spool -t listserv
>

> /etc/courier/aliasdir/.courier-default
>
> Contents:
> | /usr/lib/courier/bin/preline /usr/local/bin/lsv_amin -
> s /home/listserv/spool -t $LOCAL

First and foremost, you should study up some more about using a shell
securely.  Always, always, ALWAYS quote your variables when a shell might
be executed, especially if the variables contain external data.  Then try

  | /usr/lib/courier/bin/preline /usr/local/bin/lsv_amin -t "$LOCAL"

lsv_amin will use the compiled-in default for the spool directory if you
supply "-t", so you do not need "-s /path/to/spool" if you use "-t".

I am not sure if you need to use /usr/lib/courier/bin/preline with the
mail; you might want to test that.  From the courier doc:
  http://www.courier-mta.org/dot-courier.html

    When the external program reads the message from standard input,
    the message will NOT have the customary From_, Return-Path:, and
    messages. The external program can find those headers in the
    respective environment variables. If you have a command that
    expects to see those headers as a part of the message, you can
    use the preline(1) wrapper to add them to the message. For
    example, the procmail mail filter requires those headers.

For reference, I use Postfix and disabled the Delivered-To: in Postfix.

Cheers,
Glenn