"John F. Chandler" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Sep 1991 20:00:00 EDT
>  Every once in a while someone sends mail to a JHVUM Listserv list and
>  includes a "From:" header line that contains a quoted string spanning
>  a line.  Some piece of software somewhere at Harvard mis-handles such
>  mail headers and sends the mangled files back to [log in to unmask]  I've
>  sent information on this problem to the "postmaster" address at several
>  Harvard sites, but have never received a reply and the software is still
>  broken.

Perhaps the problem is not at Harvard after all, and perhaps your
(possibly wrong) assertion was made in such a way as to irk the
postmaster(s) you sent the reports to.  The sample mail file you
included proves nothing but that the missing line got dropped before
or when it reached the mailer daemon at HARVARD.BITNET.  On its own
showing, the message had passed through BUACCA along the way, presumably
via LISTSERV@BUACCA and [log in to unmask]  Did you take any steps to
eliminate both of those as possible culprits?  If you managed to
eliminate them, then you should restate the problem in more succinct
form and send the report to the postmaster(s) again.  If you tried but
failed, then you should restate the problem and report it instead to
the postmaster at BUACCA.  If you didn't even try, then it's not really
surprising that you got ignored.
                                    John