Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jul 1991 17:56:05 +0200
I get a copy  of all these messages, so I guess  I should be coordinating
the troubleshooting. Anyway here is the synopsis:

AKRONVM (1.7a) -> OHSTVMA (1.6e) -> PSUVM (1.6e) -> X (1.7a)

where X is PUCC, NDSUVM1, QUCDN,  RICEVM1, UWAVM, NUSVM, USCVM and UGA. A
message  was  posted to  the  BANYAN-L  list  at  AKRONVM, where  it  got
checksummed. Neither OHSTVMA nor PSUVM checked the CRC - they just passed
the checksum onwards. All the 'X'  servers reported a checksum error, and
they  all  got  exactly  the  same  incorrect  CRC  for  their  own  copy
(1-6BD88363 instead of the expected  1-E1845D2D). It seems thus extremely
likely that PSUVM got a corrupted  copy, which it just distributed to the
downstream servers.

Another piece of information is that OHSTPHRM (a LISTSERV node downstream
OHSTVMA) got CRC  errors for 2 out  of the 6 UPD17A files.  When I resent
the files manually, it got CRC errors again. I had to resend them 2 files
to get a "clean" copy through. Here are the release levels of RSCS at the
sites in question (I was unable to get that information for CSUOHIO):

FROM OHSTVMA: DMTCMQ690I RSCS Networking Version 2, Release 3.00
FROM OHSTPHRM: DMTCMQ690I RSCS NETWORKING VERSION 2, RELEASE 2.00

Of course, since IBM forgets to update DMTCVT half of the time, this does
NOT mean that they are running the base level.

Finally, the way the files are corrupted is that a single letter here and
there  is uppercased.  I am  including a  copy of  the corrupted  message
below; does anyone know of an APAR that addresses this problem?

  Eric