Liz Best <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:29:20 -0800
Here's an example of something I have to do and how I have guessed it needs
to be done.

We need to be able to communicate with individual classes which are divided
by year. Depending on the message it goes out to Everyone, all members of a
specific class (regardless of year) or a specific year of a specific class.
Everyone in the lowest sub-list needs to be able to see the message in the
archives of their respective super-lists and should not be subscribed to
multiple lists (so there is only one place to change email addresses).

I know this seems a silly thing to do (why not post to just the four
sublists, but in reality there are six classes and three years for a total
eighteen sub-lists with six or more sub-lists added each year so in a few
years time the "Everyone" super list is going to be very appreciated.

So I have set up recursive sub and super lists as follows:

Everyone (a super list with Class-A and Class-B as sub-lists)

Class-A (a super list with Class-A-97 and Class-A-98 as sub-lists)
Class-B (a super list with Class-B-97 and Class-B-98 as sub-lists)

Class-A-97, Class-A-98, Class-B-97, and Class-B-98 are regular lists and the
only place that individuals subscribe to.

In the header of the super lists I have

* Notebook= Yes,d:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives\Everyone,Yearly,Private
* Notebook= (Class-A), (Class-B)
* Sub-lists= Class-A, Class-B
and
* Notebook= Yes,d:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives\Class-A,Yearly,Private
* Notebook= (Class-A-97), (Class-A-98)
* Sub-lists= Class-A-97, Class-A-97
and
* Notebook= Yes,d:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives\Class-B,Yearly,Private
* Notebook= (Class-B-97), (Class-B-98)
* Sub-lists= Class-B-97, Class-B-97

with the theory (and as indicated in the Listserv Site Manager's manual)
that those people subscribed to the sublist can access the archives of the
super lists above it.

But now I have pondered this setup and wonder if the Everyone header
shouldn't be:

* Notebook= Yes,d:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives\Everyone,Yearly,Private
* Notebook= (Class-A), (Class-B),(Class-A-97), (Class-A-98), (Class-B-97),
(Class-B-98)
* Sub-lists= Class-A, Class-B

or even:

* Notebook= Yes,d:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives\Everyone,Yearly,Private
* Notebook= (Class-A-97), (Class-A-98), (Class-B-97), (Class-B-98)
* Sub-lists= Class-A, Class-B

Which of course makes a little more work for me, as adding Class-A-99 and
Class-B-99 would have to be done in both the Everyone and respective class
header.

Hopefully some brave soul has gone before me and knows the answer to this
one.

Regards,
Liz
Elizabeth L. Best, Systems Analyst

Royal Roads University, Learning Resource Centre
2005 Sooke Road Victoria, BC  V9B 5Y2

Phone: (250) 391-2663 Fax:   (250) 391-2594
mailto:[log in to unmask] http://www.royalroads.ca/