Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 25 Apr 1987 12:21 SET
  Enough of  this bullshit  please. I  will not  PUT the  PEERS NAMES  file on
monday. I will never again PUT the PEERS NAMES (or LINKSWT FILE) again, except
on my own server. From now  on, each postmaster is responsible for maintaining
his own  PEERS NAMES and LINKSWT  FILE as he sees  fit, when he sees  fit, and
using whatever sources of information that he  may see fit. If you feel that a
link is over or underweighted in LINKSWT  FILE, just change it (and be sure to
issue a NODESGEN WTONLY command afterwards). If  you want to include a node in
the  DISTRIBUTE backbone,  just add  it to  your PEERS  NAMES file  (and don't
forget  to  issue  a  CMS  LSVPRSUM command  afterwards).  If  you  break  the
DISTRIBUTE backbone  in the  process, or  cause users not  to be  in anybody's
service area any more, I want it made  clear that it will not be my fault. The
only case when my  responsibility will be involved is when there  is a BUG the
code. And even in that case... please remember that you are not paying for the
code, and don't expect the same service as from your IBM support center.

  I thought that LISTSERV was something that could be managed and coordinated.
Obviously this is  not the case. A  lot of people have  installed LISTSERV for
local use only, and are not updating it. This is fine with me, except that WHY
THE HECK DID THEY ASK TO JOIN  THE BACKBONE????? If your LISTSERV is for local
use only, and is listed as  :version.1.0xx, then fine, leave it unattended for
10 months, or leave it logged off for  one week, it's none of my business. Now
if  it is  part of  the backbone,  I feel  it should  be treated  differently.
Obviously  this is  not the  general opinion.  The problem,  I guess,  is that
people have not understood that there can be only two types of LISTSERV:

- Local use only (ZERO peer list outside the institution, ZERO DISTRIBUTE job)

- Part of the backbone, ie local and global use.

  It is NOT possible to be "in between". If your server is for local use only,
except that you want to house a peer  of xxx-L because for some reason you are
very interested in  xxx-L, then you are responsible for  the liability of your
server before the owner of xxx-L, and before the xxx-L user community as well.
This means that you must make sure it is logged on automatically, and that you
must update  it from  time to time  -- let's  say, at least  once a  month. Of
course  this does  not apply  to peers  inside the  various nodes  of a  given
institution -- this is just an extension of a 'local use only' list.

"LISTSERV: A joyless, dismal, black and sorrowful issue" (Titus Andronicus)

  Eric