Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:44:35 -0500
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Tim Parker wrote:

> I was just asked whether or not Listserv would handle the sending of
> mail/newsletters in other languages (other than english) We are starting to
> explore options with some of our other offices and the possibility of
> offering say and Italian, German, French mailing. I realize that if I can
> write in these languages it should be fine, but also what about languages
> that use different character sets. Thanks.

As long as the language does not rely on double-byte characters, Listserv
will probably handle it. Non-western languages, tend to contain
double-byte characters, although if the list is not moderated or edited,
there should be no problem. In my experience, double-byte characters get
munged when emails containing them are forwarded to an editor or moderator
for approval. I understand that LSoft is working on support for
non-western character sets in the next Listserv version.

The best way to investigate this issue is to set up a test Listserv list
and experiment with it.