"Zvika Bar-Deroma (Tel. +972 4 292706; FAX: +972 4 231848)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 28 Oct 1990 15:51:36 IST
I've sent a question to LISTONWL the following answer from Al Hartshorn:

  On Tue, 23 Oct 90 11:17:05 IST you said:
  >How can a list owner delete a list that "finished its life" (in that
  >particular case - a list used for comm. by the members of an ad hoc
  >committee that completed its work) ? What happends to the stored
  >LOGfiles ?
  >
  >/Zvika
  The Postmaster would have to delete the LIST file and also the account.
  All the files would still be there but if the above is done, there would
  be no access to them. The Postmaster could also delete the LOGfiles.

  Al

How about adding a  command for listowners to delete a  list ? The owner
would send a  REMLIST (let's assume that's the name  of the new command)
to  LISTSERV,  and  this would  cause  the  LIST  file  as well  as  the
associated files to be erased; maybe  adding some option what to do with
the LOG files. It would also send mail to the postmaster saying that the
list was deleted  by the owner, and that the  userid associated with the
list may be deleted. As for  PEERed lists, I guess only the "major/real"
list owner (not the one that many  times is the local postmaster, and is
the listowner of all local lists) should be allowed to REMLIST globally.
I realize  that this needs to  be worked in details,  probably needing a
(or some) new keywords, but I think the basic idea can be understood.

/Zvika