Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 21 Sep 1986 12:25 SET
  Just have  a look  at the latest  NetMonth issue, there  is an  article about
GRAND by Judith Molka:

> It  (GRAND)  will  soon  be  used to  shadow  several  discussion  groups  on

  Wonder why they're not willing to  install a FRECP11-LISTSERV? ;-) I guess we
have to do something  about this use of GRAND as a  substitute for LISTSERV. As
you may  know my first  experience with GRAND was  a *BIG* deception.  They may
have improved it, but three things are sure:

1) The size of the user package CANNOT have decreased (about 3 cyls)
2) The speed of the  user package CANNOT have increased (5  secs for just pres-
   sing ENTER on my system)
3) The size of the files it ships you across the network, as well as the number
   of these files, cannot have bettered. You  want to know what a discussion is
   about because you don't understand what the topic exactly is? Just press the
   ORDER key  and wait until the  whole 1,500 lines contents  of the discussion
   reach you :-) I've heard rumours that  the main problem of GRAND is that the
   servers ship  updates to  each other  faster than  the network  can transmit
   them, resulting in a GRANDiose bottleneck *hee hee*

  Anyway,  GRAND may  perhaps be  a good  conferencing tool;  but it  certainly
should not be used  to emulate LISTSERV functions, in much the  same way that a
war 40 tons tank should not be used as a personal leisure car ;-)

  Some (happy) news:

- I'm completing a "links weight" feature  for the infernal module. It seems to
  be working,  except that  we have  problems with aliases.  If you  change the
  weight of a link, you must change the weights of all the aliases too. Otherwi
  se the link gets short-cut by its  alias, and... :-( Also it sometimes causes
  the program to die because it creates  a loop in the network (that would have
  to be examined more thoroughly).

- I'm not going to use the "links speed" from BITEARN NODES to create the links
  weight file. I heard that NODESGEN takes 1 minute 20 secs on Phil's computer,
  but on mine it takes 15 minutes. I just can't afford doubling that, especial-
  ly since I would  have to test the stuff. I can't spend  6 hours on this just
  because every test takes 30 minutes. Anyway I don't think this is very impor-
  tant since important links all have the same link speed.

- I'm putting  on some stuff to  fix the loop  problems on ARPA &co.  I decided
  that parsing the messages was impossible, considering the amount of
  "ERGTW-PRTMOUT%NSLINK%MAIL- Poor  mailer was  not able  to access  nasty UNIX
  node for  three days, your  nice mail has  had to be  canned, waaaahahahahh".
  I just had an  "EUREKA" idea: *anything* sent by LISTSERV  has a "Sender: nia
  niania <listid@mynode>"  line in the header.  Now if I find  a "Sender: some-
  thing <listid@mynode>"  line in  the mail  BODY, it  is probably  a rejection
  notice.

- Loop problems caused by loops in peer links: I'll fix that by adding an inter
  peer field  indicating the source node.  If I get mail  originated from *me*,
  I just can it.  :-) Which does not mean that I'm not  going to bitch whomever
  initiated the link....

  Ah, another issue (excuse the length of this mail :-) ). The BITNIC seemed to
be very concerned  with the issue of  "LISTSERV coordination". I saw  in a note
from BITNIC that they sort of tended to assume that it would be reasonable that
the NIC be designated as the coordination point for all LISTSERVs in the world.
Needless to say, it seems absurd  that BITNIC coordinates a network of FRECP11-
LISTSERVs when THEY do not even have one and have no idea of how it works. Even
assuming that they eventually install one, they would have to really indulge in
a minute perusal of all the tomes and librams furnished with the device, not to
mention the arcane formulae found in the magic REXX books inside the apparatus.
:-) Actually I think  that the LISTSERVs should be coordinated  not by a single
person or  center, which would  not be available 24h,  not to mention  the time
zones problem, but by a (limited) number of people who have a good knowledge of
the thing and above all a good understanding of how peer linking works and what
should be done to avoid a loop or stop it. Good knowledge of the network topolo
gy (in the person's area) would also be required. FRECP11-LISTSERV is a distri-
buted server,  so it's gonna have  a distributed coordination :-)  I think that
about 5 people would  be needed all over the world, 2 in  Europe and 2-3 in the
States (and perhaps 1 in Canada too). Who will volunteer?

  We might then suggest  to the various LISTSERV owners to give  one or more of
these  persons the  authority to  stop their  LISTSERV in  case a  mailing loop
occurs. This  would also cause them  to receive all severe  error messages from
the server and would help troubleshooting a lot. This would of course be optio-
nal, although  those people who do  not allow anybody except  their own account
to stop their LISTSERV might be considered morally responsible of long duration
mailing loops by  other people on the  network. As I mentioned  in the LISTMAST
MEMO, I feel  like anybody who has  authority to drain the network  link to the
LISTSERV should also have authority to stop the server so that he does not have
to resort to  draining the link to  stop a mailing loop. Also  please note that
you can give STOP privileges *without* giving CP or CMS privileges -- this is a
separate class of postmastership and requires a separate password. I understand
that nobody would  want people outside the node  to have CP privs on  a class D
account. :-)

  Eric