Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:06:54 -0400
>I got no responses on LSTOWN-L, so I thought I'd ask again over here:
>
>I evidently don't understand Probe as well as I thought I did.  I
>have two lists, one a sub-sublist of the other.  They are part of a
>superlist heirarchy, so the superlist has 23 sublists which are also
>superlists, drawing on about 300 actual lists.  The sublist is one of
>those 300 lists.  The superlist and sublist each contain the
>following keyword:
>
>*  Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Delay(1),Max(0),Probe(1)
>
>We had reason to publish to both the superlist and the sublist within
>the last 24 hours.

By "publish" do you mean that you sent mail to them?  If so, which
did you send mail to first?

>The superlist monitoring report listed 85 errors,
>none of which were Probe failed.

What do these entries on the daily error monitoring report look like?
(What reason is given for them bouncing?)  Are these addresses
actually subscribed to any of the mailing lists?

>The sublist monitoring report
>listed 58 errors, every single one of which was a Probe failed.
>There was no crossover of errors between the two monitoring reports.
>
>My questions are:
>
>Why didn't the superlist monitoring report reflect the same Probe
>failed messages that the sublist monitoring report did?

The addresses that bounced when you sent mail to a sublist should
have been removed.  If you sent mail to the superlist after the
addresses were removed then they wouldn't be there to bounce again.
Could that help explain this?

>Do superlists actually have the ability to probe the addresses
>subscribed to the sublists?

I'm not sure how this is handled.  I know that addresses on a sublist
will not be automatically removed based on bounces resulting from a
superlist mailing.  That doesn't really answer your question however.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc