Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 16 Oct 1986 23:24 SET
  To help  overcome network congestion,  FRECP11-LISTSERV has been  improved to
allow us to  easily define peer lists  linked to the BITNIC  listserv with mail
sent to one of the FRECP11-servers  being automatically forwarded to the master
list at BITNIC. Example:

                list@BITNIC

list@TAMVM1 <--> list@UGA  <---> list@UIUCVMD <---> list@DEARN
                                     |------------> list@CLVM
                                     |------------> list@RUTVM1

  When mail is sent  to the BITNIC list, it gets to the  UGA list (in our exam-
ple) and  is then forwarded among  the peers. When  a peer receives a  piece of
mail it  forwards it automatically  to the master list  at BITNIC, and  it then
gets redistributed the normal way. This works only for lists which are configu-
red as send=public  at BITNIC. We plan  to convert the majority  of "big" lists
from BITNIC this way.

  LSTSRV-L people: Harold will give details about this later on the list. Basi-
cally you  must set  up "Editor=  listname@BITNIC,LISTSERV@BITNIC" in  the list
header and it may require a fix to  LSVXMAIL if your version is not up to date.
Files from  LISTSERV@BITNIC can get through,  other files are forwarded  to the
"list editor", aka [log in to unmask]

  Eric