Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:38:17 -0400
> >There seems to be a difference in how Ack and Repro work in this
> >situation.  If list B has Ack=Yes, subscribers to list A get the
> >Ack message when they post.  But if list B has Default-Options=Repro,
> >list A subscribers do not get a copy of their own post.  It's very
> >counter-intuitive.
>
> "ACK= Yes" and "Default-Options= Repro" work differently.  In
> particular, note that you can have _both_ of the following settings:
>
>         ACK= Yes
>         Default-Options= NOACK
>
> This results in nonsubscribers who send mail to the mailing list
> getting an ACK and subscribers (who are by default set to NOACK) not
> getting one (unless they or someone else have changed their
> subscription options).
> --
> Jacob Haller, Technical Support
> L-Soft international, Inc
> http://www.lsoft.com/

Wow, that's really obscure,, non-intuitive, and not explained in the
documentation.  :-)

Is there any reason other than history why Ack should be different from
other options?  Also, I thought I saw somethere that Default-Options,
or at least some of them, would be applied to non-subscribers.  It
certainly makes sense to me that they should be.  I guess Repro is a
special case there, however, since it doesn't make sense for a
non-subscriber to get a copy of their own post.

As for super lists, it might be nice to have the choice of subscriber
options being taken from the sublists or applying the defaults to
sublist subscribers.