Jim McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Sep 1993 19:49:30 GMT
In <930922.143025.EDT.FISHER@RPITSVM> "John S. Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I gotta' believe other people have LISTSERV and USENET News cooperating
>quite happily.  Anyone care to explain how it's done?

I gateway about 240 listserv lists to corresponding usenet newsgroups
using the Penn State NETNEWS program written by Linda Littleton.
NETNEWS was written with code that understands Listserv lists and
handles getting posts from the list into the newsgroup and from the
newsgroup back to the list. It can also make Usenet newsgroups available
to your CMS users if you don't have access to Usenet on your campus. (If
you have an NNTP server and don't need the gateway function you would be
better off with one of the CMS nntp new reader programs.)

NETNEWS runs on VM/CMS systems.  For information on getting the NETNEWS
program, send GET NETNEWS PACKAGE to LISTSERV@PSUVM (or
[log in to unmask]).  If you want me to add your gateways to the
ones I already handle (so you don't have to install NETNEWS yourself),
send the command GET NETGATE POLICY to LISTSERV@AUVM (or
[log in to unmask])(or you can ftp the netgate.policy file from the
pub.netnews directory at ftp.american.edu).  Basically the procedure to
have me set up the gateways is that you ask me, but the NETGATE POLICY
document has some precautions you should know about when setting up a
Listserv/Usenet gateway).

Write me if you have additional questions.

Jim McIntosh ([log in to unmask])
The American University
Washington, DC USA 20016-8019