Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Sep 1993 23:33:41 +0200
>The wording  of the  LSVCOST questionnaire  suggests that  "new releases
>only" could leave one with an  inoperable version of L-Soft software and
>no recourse for correction until the next "new release".

This  is correct,  from  a lawyer's  perspective.  Category III  licenses
(that's their official  name) give you access to new  versions at release
boundaries, and to HIPER fixes. However, for any given installation there
is a  possibility that  some little  detail or  other will  be considered
critically important, even if it doesn't  mean much to most sites. Any of
the fixes I  make is a potential  HIPER to one particular  site with some
very specific  requirement, and there  is nothing  much that can  be done
about it.  If the customer could  decide what is  and is not a  HIPER, we
would be  giving category II service  for the price of  category III (35%
cheaper).  The difference  in  price is  due  to the  fact  that, on  the
average, I have  been spending 1h helping people and  fixing problems for
every 2h spent writing code.

Maybe I  should explain the  rationale a bit  better. Category II  is the
"normal" license  and corresponds to the  level of service that  had been
provided free of charge  up to Sep 1. Category III was  created as a kind
of licensing tool for large accounts, rather than as a final product. For
instance, EARN  sites receive the  equivalent of  cat III service  with a
right to receive between-release fixes  from one specific site designated
by EARN, which has a category II license. This is a usable final product,
which costs less to  L-Soft than a cat II license  for everyone, and does
not cost  much more  to EARN  as they already  have a  full-time LISTSERV
expert.  Another illustration  is a  network that  would decide  to offer
"free LISTSERV access" to all its members (meaning just that, free access
to the  code). This network could  license cat III service  for everyone,
and the individual members would license cat II upgrades.

The reason there  is no "category 2.5" with between-release  fixes but no
customer support  is that it would  never work in practice.  People don't
write to ask  for "fix number XYZ23", they say  "Since yesterday LISTSERV
no longer tlops the spolt in three as usual, and the associate VP for the
XYZ  department is  very  upset, what  should I  do?".  It takes  several
exchanges to  get a  description of  the problem  with all  the necessary
details and figure out what is  actually happening. One third of the time
it is a "stupid"  error - someone who XEDITs the  LIST files directly and
typed "Subscribe=" instead of "Subscription=", for instance. In order for
a  cat  III license  with  between-release  support to  be  significantly
cheaper (to L-Soft and thus to the  customer) than cat II, one would need
a  mechanism to  eliminate this  overhead, or  get compensation  from the
customer when the problem is a user error or the description was not good
enough to permit quick identification. This  is a nasty can of worms, and
I doubt many sites would be willing  to sign that kind of contract. It is
not a good solution for L-Soft  either. Joe makes mistake, Joe complains,
L-Soft identifies mistake, Joe can  solve his problem, L-Soft sends bill,
Joe screams  because the  boss will  be upset and  claims this  is really
because  the name  of the  configuration  variable is  confusing, or  the
documentation is inadequate, and we have  a big fuss for nothing. None of
this is worth the trouble for a difference of $581/year.

  Eric