Dennis Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:51:52 -0500
 > One of our Unix guys just came over to ask me about a problem he is
 > seeing between the postfix mail server and Listserv.  We are running
 > Listserv 1.8d on AIX.  He said that postfix is seeing mail from
 > moderated lists as mail loops when it comes back from the moderator.
 > He said he was looking at some things from the postfix side but wanted
 > to know if I had any ideas. I was just wondering if anyone has seen
 > anything like this or has any suggestions.

We use qmail.  Qmail inserts a "Delivered-to:" header during the local
delivery phase.  LISTSERV doesn't strip this header when it forwards
the message to the editor.  (This might depend on configuration.)
If the editor uses a mailer which doesn't strip this qmail header,
then qmail sees its own tracks in the message on the second pass,
and calls it a loop.

I know nothing about postfix, but it's possible it might use a similar
mechanism.

Dennis Boone
H-Net