Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:10:18 EDT
On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:48:32 -0500 Garrie Burr said:
>NODESGEN is an unknown command on our VM Server and I've never had to

That I don't understand.  Did you issue it and get an unknown command
error?  It's been around for ages.  I see references to it clear back
to 1.6d and the implication is that it existed before that.

>fix-up the tables before after ftp-ing BITEARN NODES before (and I've been
>doing it manually for about five years now).  We are running Listserve
>1.8c, if that makes a difference.

It might.  1.8c is not Y2K compliant and I just saw a note from a site
running 1.8c today whose PEERS and INTPEERS tables are outdated even
though it's a registered site (BITEARN NODES was current) and which
was reporting a Y2K-related problem.  I don't know for a fact that the
two issues are related.

I assume that you downloaded BITEARN NODES in text mode?

Out of curiosity, which node is this?  WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU is registered
and should not need to have its tables updated manually.

>What does the 'All target nodes were unknown.' message mean in the console,
>though?

It sounds like your tables did not rebuild correctly or completely.
That's why I suggested issuing NODESGEN.  It's a real command, it
just has to be issued from one of the POSTMASTER= accounts (or at
the LISTSERV console).  Here's the documentation, from chapter 6
of the site manager's manual:

| NODESGEN <WTONLY> |

Regenerate all LISTSERV network tables, or just compile the links weight
file (debugging command). This happens automatically when LISTSERV is
rebooted if a new BITEARN NODES file is found. Otherwise you should issue
a NODESGEN whenever you update BITEARN NODES.

Nathan