Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:11:18 -0700
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:19:52 -0800, "Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>what if the new SMTP server is the "same" box as the listserv box, then do we just put in the FQDN of itself?

Yes.  This goes in LISTSERV's  site.cfg file as

SMTP_FORWARD=xxxx
SMTP_FORWARD_1=xxxx

where xxxx= the FQDN of the LISTSERV machine.

(Sometimes this doesn't work behind firewalls, where the DNS information is
not correct for the location of that machine, in which case you put in
LOCALHOST in place of the FQDN).

However, the only SMTP mail server that L-Soft supports for use on the same
box with LISTSERV(R) is L-Soft's LSMTP(R).  Use of Exchange, MS SMTPSVC and
other mailers while possible, must be on a separate box.  This is a limitation
of Windows, not of LISTSERV.  Windows provides no mechanism for LISTSERV's
SMTP Listener Service (mail receiver component) to share access to Port25
(SMTP) with any other mail server.  LSMTP works because it replaces all the
necessary functions of SMTPListener.  No other mail server can provide these
functions and 2 mailservers cannot share mail receiving on Port 25 of one
machine.