Dwight Robert Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 May 1993 15:29:16 -0500
Does anyone know how to stop listserv from reporting the error messages for
"mail has been received for user xxx who has been served out" with out serving
the user back in (I just don't want to get any messages after the original
"user xxx has been served out after 10 unsuccessful commands" message.
I also have another problem, is that I had a user subscribe himself to just
about every list on late Friday night then I got back and had may bounces.
What happened is that the mail_system account was sending the error messages
that the user's disk was full, but it was sending it to listserv@vmd and
listserv was treating these as commands.  After 10 of these bounces listserv
served out the mail-system account and then began mailing them to me as the
"mail has been .... served out" error.  When I next logged in I globally
deleted the user, but I had been receiving about 100 messages a day relating
to this user.  The two flaws here are the fact that the error messages were
being treated as commands (probably because the mail-system was sending
the error messages to [log in to unmask] and so it thought they were
commands) and that listserv reports every time that it receives mail from a
user who has been served out.  I want to receive the first report of the user
being served out, but I do not want to look at every command they tried to
send after they were served out.  When I receive the first message I send a
pre-written letter telling them what has happened and including the listserv
help file.  I also inform them that if they wish to be served back in to try
again all they have to do is e-mail me directly.  This is enough to deal with
to problem, and telling me every command that the user sends does nothing but
fill up my mail box and take up my time.  If the user can not handle sending
me mail directly I do not care if they ever get served back in to the listserv
as the person is not compotent enough to be doing any e-mail and will only be
a headache if subscribed.  Alternatively, listserv could mail the person the
help file automatically when the person get served out and only send me the
one notification.
--
Dwight Stone                 Worship life, the sun, existence, nature, yourself.
[log in to unmask]      Cthulhu for new University of Illinois mascot!