Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:10:25 EDT
On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:08:40 -0400 KEVIN MCKENZIE said:
>Is it posssible for the site administrater to view the current password of
>a given list, or do they have to just use the createpw overide to do
>administrative cleanup.  Right now we have a separate database to store
>passwords when a list is created, then if we need it we have it.  I want to
>automate the list creation section to where there is no need to store it
>separately, but I don't know of another way to view the current password of
>any givren list should I need it later.  Any help appreciated.

On 1.8c and later you don't need to specify a list password, instead, one
is randomly generated if you don't.  This is because the recommended way
to authenticate is via a personal password, not a list password.  In any
case it is never necessary to know the list password as a personal password
will always work to authenticate a privileged user.

If you just absolutely positively need to know the list password, you can
simply 'listview' the list file.  (or on VM and VMS, just type it to the
console.)

Nathan