Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 14 Sep 1986 23:23 SET
  This weekend has been very productive  I think (although FRORS31 was down all
the time, as usual). The "infernal  program" seems to be working perfectly, and
proves to be very useful. I have added the following features:

- "NODESGEN" command that  automates the generation of  ALL BITEARN NODES-based
  tables. It takes  15 minutes to execute  on my system (with  6 batch machines
  prior = 30 (we  were blackmailed into doing this, *I*  would never give prior
  30 to *six*  batch machines)) because of  the !"|$!"$ :alias. which  the pre-
  vious version did  not handle, and which  are NOT in sort order  of course. I
  spent 10 minutes thinking of a way to  sort them back in less than 60 minutes
  of REXX execution -- a bubble sort of 1,500 entries takes forever in REXX :-(
  GENROUTS is no longer  needed, which does not mean that  you should not learn
  to use it for your RSCS tables (if you don't use it already) :-)

- "SUBSCRIBE" now automatically  forwards requests to the host  nearest to your
  node. Only one forward operation is done,  in case the tables are not synched
  and the target server would forward back.... Do forever; Bounce; End....

- "<QUIET> MOVE listname userid@node <TO> newnode"
                         DD=ddname

  This moves the indicated guy or list of guys to the indicated server, in such
  a way  that his SET  options are transferred without  loss and no  mailing is
  lost. It works that way:

  You      Source server        Target server #1        Target server #2

  MOVE --------->.
            X-ADD------------------->adds
            X-ADD--------------------------------------------->adds
   .<------------ack

           (network delay)

             dels<-------------------X-DEL
             dels<---------------------------------------------X-DEL
   .<------------"command complete"
                 (plus notification mail)

  The list names and list passwords must be the same at the two nodes. Otherwi-
  se it's just too much of a pain  to define a protocol to convey the two pass-
  words to the servers, plus the  "target" servers could intercept the password
  to send back to the "source" server to accept the X-DEL, so it's all useless.

- "EXPLODE listname":  this causes LISTSERV  to examine the specified  list and
  see whether some MOVEing ought to be done  or not. If so, it sends you back a
  job file which you'll  have to receive and send back  after review (and after
  filling in the password  field) if you actually want to  effect the MOVEs. It
  is a  very short routine and  very convenient when  adding a new server  to a
  list. It does take  some CPU time to run, but not to  much. About 5 secs TCPU
  for the CHAT-L  list, ie less than 0.3  secs per user, which I  think is very
  reasonable considering the time it saves you :-)

- The "commands job" stuff  is 90% implemented. I needed it  for the MOVE stuff
  and I also implemented what I will  need for the "big project" (file retrans-
  mission with the LISTSERVs routing copies of the files thru each other accor-
  ding  to the  recipients list  --  similar to  the "forking"  aspect of  some
  networking programs).  Actually this "big  project" has now become  very easy
  with  the commands-job  crap and  the "lightspeed  pathfinder" (  :-) )  so I
  think I'll be able  to write it next weekend. Beats GRAND  :-) The worst will
  be to write the LISTSERV-using version of SENDFILE :-(
  Also, I'll upgrade DEL and ADD when I have time to support the "DD=ddname"
  option (better speed when adding/deleting a lot of people at once).

Ah, LSVPUT: Harold took my NSVPUT program from Netserv and converted it into a
LSVPUT since it seemed like I would never have done it unless I was really
pushed to :-) I reviewed it and re-shaped part of the code (hope Harold won't
kill me), gave it some testing and it seemed to work ok, so I'm shipping it to
this list. Note that it won't accept passwords longer than 8 chars because of
!"$"%$ DVHUTL RDI (I could write a LSVRDI ASSEMBLE, it's very easy, but is it
really worth it?). Harold, some of the changes I made may seem trivial and
silly, such as wasting time for nothing, but I had to make them in NSVPUT becau
se of people bitching me. For example, I would myself *never* have added that
test on the STATE return code saying "disk not accessed" instead of "file not
found" and similar crap because h*ll, if the disk is not accessed, it's not
false nor stupid to say that the file was not found!... But, well, I guess that
a perfect program should say "disk not accessed" and I was asked to put it in
and I did it to save myself the time of explaining why I felt it was not neces-
sary :-) Similarly, rc=999 is not documented in the IBM doc and should there-
fore never be used, etc. Oh well....

  Anyway: I'll need someone to test my new 1.4b stuff before I can ship it out
(assuming I get to find time for upgrading the docs). That would be on monday
or tuesday evening, my time. Also, the reason why the US didn't get V1.4a is
that UGA was down this weekend and the files were large enough to have taken
the night to get there. In case you didn't install 1.4 yet, you should discard
the individual LSVPROF and LSVRECV you have received from LSTSRV-D, they are
contained in UPD14A SHIPMENT. And in case you get funny JCL-looking files from
my server transferred to you, just discard them and forgive me... :-)

  Eric