Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:11:19 +1000

> There are also performance improvements in the scanning
> engines. Note that you will need a new serial number for
> 5.40, you can get it from support.

For this reason alone it's worthwhile upgrading.  I've got LISTSERV,
LSMTP and F-Secure all running on a very modestly spec'd machine (P200,
128MB RAM).  With 5.30 it would run sluggishly but mail would still flow
smoothly.  Since upgrading to 5.40 I've noticed it responds a lot more
quickly and the Resource Monitor doesn't look so scary when I open it.

> Having both the central scanner and LISTSERV's own scanner provides
belt
> and suspender safety.

Our LISTSERV box sits in the DMZ so we've only got the belt (or the
suspenders, depending on your style...) but it still does an admirable
job of blocking viruses.

> The fact that it still catches viruses even when behind a central
> e-mail scanner that is supposed to stop all viruses shows that
> all this work was not for nothing.

DEFINITELY worth the effort.  It's such a shame that you were only
limited to Linux and Windows users, though.

--
Regards,
Michael Shannon

Chazzozz!!

This email message (and attachments) may contain information
confidential to TOWER Software.  If you are not the intended recipient
you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or message attachments.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
return email immediately and delete all copies of the message and
attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this
message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of
TOWER Software, are not given or endorsed by it.