Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 07:32:24 -0600
On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:35:03 -0500, Chris Kosel <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I have created a www_archive.mailtpl and have modified the trailer used for
>all the lists. It works great, thanks.
>Now I am trying to modify some of the look of the second page of the web
>signup. I want to add some custom text and linked images which would be
>unique for each list.

The signup page is the SUBED-MAIN template in *.WWWTPL (either the DEFAULT or
listname).  the various options are there.

>I have a page where visitors to a website can enter their name and email
>address and click a button to subscribe to a list. When they click on the
>button they get a second page (wwwroot\listserver\listname.wwwtpl) There is
>text in this file that I cannot find in default.mailtpl or default.wwwtpl so

Some message text is generated by LISTSERV, on-the-fly, i.e. is a real-time
command response, the same as with email commands.  Most such text is found in
*.MAILTPL but some is hard-coded.  A specific example would help.

>I am not sure where I need to make the modifications. The file
>(wwwroot\listserver\listname.wwwtpl) seems to be regenerated each night, but
>I cannot find out what template generates this.

The copy of *.WWWTPL in your wwwroot\listserver\ is copied nightly from the
LISTSERV\MAIN directory as part of the nightly rebuild process.
To modify any listname.WWWTPL you may use the WWW List Mangement interface for
that list or you may GET/edit/PUT listname.WWWTPL by the usual email methods.
This ensures the correct copy is edited so changes will 'stick'.  In general,
all *.html and *.wwwtpl files in your \wwwroot\listserver directory are
rebuilt at least nightly and you should never make changes there as they will
be overwritten.