Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:24:55 -0500
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:47:33 -0500, Erik Poole <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Between the options Reply-to= .... | Respect or Ignore,  I am not quite
>sure I fully understand Ignore.  From the pdf version of the listowners'
>manual:
>
>Ignore: The original "Reply-to:" tag, if any, is ignored and discarded, and
>the value in the first position is used instead.
>
>* Could somebody kindly tell me what the manual means when it refers to the
>"value in the first position is used instead"?

I'm not absolutely sure why this isn't understandable as the values for the
"first position" are detailed just above this :)  It means that if you code
",Ignore", LISTSERV ignores any existing Reply-To: header in the original
posting and uses the value you've coded in the first parameter.

That being said, I have rewritten that section because I thought the
terminology was pretty bad.  The next version of the manuals will have:

Reply-To= List|Sender|Both|None|<net-address>,[Respect|Ignore]

Indicates whether the "Reply-to:" tag supplied by the sender of the mail file
is to be preserved or discarded (if present), and, if discarded or omitted,
what should be placed in the new "Reply-to:" generated by the server. The
default value is "Reply-To= List,Respect".

Note that some mailing systems are unable to process a "Reply-To:" field with
multiple addresses correctly and may therefore disregard the Reply-to= Both
option and treat it as Reply-to= List.

The two parameters are specified as follows:

First parameter:
    List          Replies are directed to the list address.
    Sender        Replies are directed to the original sender.
    Both          Reply to both the original sender and to the list (see note
                  regarding this above)
    None          No Reply-to: header is generated unless ",Respect" is
                  specified and a Reply-to: header is present in the original
                  posting, in which case replies are directed to wherever the
    <net-address> Replies are directed to the specified internet address

Second parameter:
    Respect     The original "Reply-to:" tag on the posting, if any, is kept.
                If no valid Reply-To: tag exists in the posting, the value
                defined in the first parameter of this keyword is used.
    Ignore      The original "Reply-to:" tag on the posting, if any, is ignored
                and discarded, and the value defined in the first parameter of
                this keyword is used instead. If Reply-To= None,Ignore, then a

Nathan