"Lisa M. Covi" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Oct 1991 10:41:43 EDT
Here are some more questions about setting up lists:
1. What does the PW= key actually prevent?  When a list doesn't have a
   PW= key, I get a nasty message telling me that unauthorized users can
   change my headings, but I tried to get, set options, etc from an
   unauthorized ID and I couldn't.  Where's the security hole?

2. Similarly, using lsvput as a LISTSERV postmaster, I am prompted for a
   password to a list that has no PW= heading.  I have typed random
   passwords and they are accepted and the update is applied.  Why does
   this work?

3. Does Validate=All Commands prevent users from just unsubscribing and
   setting options (for their own ID only I assume)?   Is there something
   else they can do with Store only?  Does this have to do with filelists?

4. What program uses the X-tags?  My list owners wonder what the advantages
   are to keeping them or putting them in a comment header.

5. On List renewal,  is it correct that the Interval (i.e. yearly monthly,
   weekly) specifies the time from the subscription or last confirmation
   that the subscription is due to expire?  Also the yy/mm/dd etc. specifies
   when LSVEXPIR runs?  I am unsure how this works.

6. The FILES= command.  If I set FILES= No to prevent something like the
   CHRISTMA EXEC from being distributed to the list, does that also prevent
   the BITNET sites without mailers from sending to the list?

7. How can you tell whether files have the FORM of REDIST?  Is this related
   to the FILES= keyword?  Does this have to do with Edited lists?

8. Where can one get a list of SERVICE areas?

9. I need a short description of each of the following headers:
   DAILY-THRESHOLD: (default value 50)
   EDITOR-HEADER: (default value yes)
   INDENT: (default value 40)
   LIST-ID: (default value userid of list)
   LOOPCHECK: (default value FULL)
   MAIL-VIA: (default value DIRECT - what is the difference btw DIST and DIST2)
   NEWSGROUPS:  (default value bit.listserv.userid of list)
   PRIME: (default value YES)
   SENDER: (default value LIST)
   SIZELIM: (default value taken from sysvar mailmaxl - can this be greater
             than mailmaxl?)

10. Last question:  are all list headers changable after the list is
    established?   Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
Lisa Covi
BITNET Support