Ronald Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Feb 2012 08:22:53 -0500
Because gmail permits huge mail allocations  ($5/year triples the default size) I use it routinely and have multiple accounts. I am an owner of an uncounted but large number of lists across at least three domains, have used Listserv since the late 80s, and use filters extensively for the busiest accounts. Unfiltered messages are all visible in "all inboxes" (iPhone); filtered messages in "all mail" within a filtered gmail account.  Easily monitored; I catch these listowner list messages there..

As noted, ACK or a separate subscription confirms delivery for gmail users, and a second account is useful during list configuration for testing different functionalities. If your infrastructure is solid, delivery is assured, occasionally delayed; users should check drafts or outboxes to insure they actually sent messages

I encourage the use of the GUI to monitor list performance, and I encourage users to consider  discarding the LISTSERV messages from accounts with limited storage if the list has NOTEBOOK enabled, ie archiving. I put the URL in the footer of every message.

This has enormous institutional advantages:

1) it breaks correspondence that is unnecessarily private into a searchable and browsable database that also generates RSS feeds

2) consider institutional disk utilization: LISTSERV archiving is yet another (n+1) copy, but after the first message is deleted, total message space allocation is a wash and henceforth total disk usage is reduced. Huge impact with big lists with 10,100,1000,10000 subscribers..

3) encourage distribution of documents and enable attachments: this archives them and takes burdens off multiple user and institutional drives, a vast multiplier

With gmail at $5/20gb /year there's little incentive to reduce individual accounts and search is spectacular. It generates searchable archives from subscriptions that might require dues to access a GUI

Lastly gmail permits google group creation and you can use this to archive list traffic from any list ( LISTSERV Lyris etc) for those concerned about access to archives across sites or platforms and thus provides a common search interface.

Ron Wood

I also recommend editing reply messages sent to discussion lists such as this one to eliminate redundant content AND distribution of unsubscribe requests with your address embedded!

Sent from my iPhone