LISTSERV Administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:14:07 EST
On Wed, 5 Jun 1996 19:46:23 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>On   Wed,    5   Jun    1996   12:34:08   EST    LISTSERV   Administrator
><[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>>>This is because the  contents of the template are just  a few lines out
>>>of a larger  message that is being prepared by  LISTSERV to contain the
>>>reply to the user's command(s)
>>
>>Not true... with SUB_OWNER, that's the  only message that's sent back to
>>the user.
>
>Not true. With SUB_OWNER, this is the  text of the reply to the SUBSCRIBE
>command, which is inserted  in the job reply after the  '> sub blah blah'
>line.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... that's all part of the same text...
Hmmmmmm... okay.  Makes more sense then... but... bummer.  :-)

>>I guess I don't understand why these were selected to be "linear"...
>
>It's actually very simple. When LISTSERV needs a character string to echo
>to the user as  the reply to his command, and  people want it customized,
>you automatically get a linear  template. When originally LISTSERV sent a
>whole, totally  separate message,  you get a  regular template  where you
>have full control.

Okay.  I get it.

Guess Jim will have to find another way to pretty it up for the cop
list.  :-)