"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <REICHETZ@AWIIMC11>
Mon, 23 Oct 89 12:16:10 SET
On Fri, 20 Oct 89 14:58:33 GMT Eric Thomas said:
>When LISTSERV sends a file to the mailer with 'To: JOE@RIGEL', the mailer
>sends the  file to [log in to unmask]  This is  a fact
>
>Christian, be reasonable. You know very  well that there is no such thing
>as a  domain when sending  to RSCS, which is  why RSCS addresses  are not
>"qualified". And there  is no RSCS gateway to complain  about this either
>:-)

In other words:  outbound FILES go to  BITNET, outbound MAIL goes  to the LAN,
correct? Well I can have several RSCS  as well as several MAILERs and only one
of each set can  be the networking machine. So why not  give LISTSERV a MAILER
which sends by default to BITNET?
I  still  don't  understand  how  [log in to unmask]  can  subscribe  as
'JOE@RIGEL' - other than with two RSCS which will give a mess anyway. It seems
that the default meaning is reversed for inbound and outbound nodenames.
If you  tell RYERSON to "get  yourself a decent  MAILER" then you can  as well
tell whomever  "configure your networking  software properly". I  remember the
V*X-clusters  sending with  the clustername  as nodeid  swallowing the  user's
V*X-nodeid and then complaining "you must  send to the individual node not the
clustername" when getting something back. Oh well ...
>Furthermore,  it  is generally  good  practice  to always  fully  qualify
>addresses.
Yep, but need  it be .BITNET ?  :-). At least it's not  a domain specification
but an "address-space" and somewhat redundant. And it originates from software
which first sees the local network and everything else as special case.
>  Eric
Christian