Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:49:17 -0400
If you have mail that is getting blocked by greylisting, you have a
problem with your mail relay.

Greylisting looks at one or more of these items:  envelope sender,
envelope recipient, and IP address.  I happen to look at all three on the
spam filters I run.  The first time the combination of examined data is
seen, a temporary failure is returned during the SMTP connection.  The
information is stored locally on the receiving system to be checked for
the next time the message is sent.  Some older ratware does not bother to
retry, so the spam/virus is not delivered - that's good.  Some broken
mailers also don't retry - that's bad.

In over a year of using greylisting for 28,000 accounts and 35+ domains,
I've only run into two problems.  One was a competing list management
software (Lyris) that delivered index versions of the list fine, but puked
when the user requested an article.  I never got an answer from the list
owner/site manager on what was happening.  The other was a Trend Micro
system.  My filters wait until after the data phase because some mailers
like Groupwise fail to deliver if they get tempfails on all recipients.
With this particular system, it was deleting the message file as soon as
it completed sending the data, even though it was temp failed.  The mail
administrator worked with Trend Micro and quickly received a patch that
addressed the issue.

I have not heard of any issues with sendmail having problems with
greylisting, but it could be a configuration issue.  One thing you might
look into is how often you have sendmail retry the delivery.  Most
greylisting implementations require a certain time between delivery
attempts.  I used to use 5 minutes, but  have dropped that to 2 minutes.

---

An electronic message is "spam" IF: (1) the recipient's personal identity
and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to
many other potential recipients, AND (2) the recipient has not verifiably
granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be
sent, AND (3) the transmission and reception of the message appears to the
recipient to give a disproportionate benefit to the sender.  --
http://www.mail-abuse.com/spam_def.html

William Brown
Messaging/Filtering Services
Technology Services, WNYRIC, Erie 1 BOCES
(716)821-7285