Teresa Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:34:33 -0500
Thank you!  This is exactly what I wanted to know.  I appreciate it!

-Teresa

----- Original Message -----

From: "Ben Parker" <[log in to unmask]>

To: <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 9:28 AM

Subject: Re: [LSTSRV-L] Bulk adding subscribers

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:45:45 -0500, "Teresa Moore (SUNY)"

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have a real quick question that I cannot seem to find the answer to.  Is there a limit to the number of subscribers you can add in bulk via the web interface?  Is there a limit when using the add command?

>(LISTSERV, v. 1.8d running on Solaris 8)

LISTSERV does not impose a numerical limit.  There is eventually a limit

imposed by available disk space and/or the filesystem, but not by LISTSERV.

For example, max subscribers to a list on Windows OS is approx 17.5

million, due to max 2GB single file size limitation in NTFS.  I don't know

what the file system limits would be on Solaris.  This is likely to be

different on different OS/filesystems, but again is not set by LISTSERV.

Another limitation is how long it takes to add large numbers of

subscribers.  For example, to add 100,000 subscribers to LISTSERV Classic

would probably take approx. 90 minutes.  With LISTSERV HPO it takes approx

15-30 sec.  If you are using the www interface, it times out after 10 min

or so, so will appear to fail in the first case, but not in the second

(with HPO).

Sending large blocks of addresses in the bulk-add command by email, may run

into mail size limits imposed by your mail system, but won't be a problem

for LISTSERV (again, assuming enough free diskspace to receive the file).